New Student Orientation
Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
Welcome to Reynolds Community College!
We want to help you get started at Reynolds by providing important information to guide you from the application process to attending your first class.
If you have not applied to Reynolds yet, get started here.
If you need help completing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), attend a workshop.
After you apply, please follow these two steps to get registered for fall classes:
1. View the required New Student Online Orientation by setting up a Go2Reynolds account here. The Go2Reynolds account is different from your MyReynolds account so you will not use your MyReynolds username and password for Go2Reynolds. You can create your own! For Go2Reynolds:
- Click on Create Account
- Enter the required information
- Create your own password
- You can return to this account as often as you like to view all of the video options on the student dashboard. For SOAR, please watch the "Required New Student Orientation" videos. These videos provide you valuable information about choosing a program, financial aid, placement testing, student life and more!
2. After you complete the online orientation, see the on-campus orientation dates below and sign up for SOAR (Student Orientation Advising and Registration) here.
- Some students using the Safari and Firefox browsers are having problems signing up for a SOAR date. It is recommended that students try using a different web browser such as Internet Explorer or contact email@example.com for assistance.
You will not be able to register for classes until you view online orientation and attend SOAR. At SOAR, we will remove the New Student Orientation hold on your account and help you register.
Some students will have a high school transcript hold. This hold cannot be removed until an official high school transcript is received. Students who attend SOAR before their official high school transcript is received can be advised for fall classes but will not be able to register for them.
Our advisors need placement results to advise you properly. Students need to take placement tests or submit other documentation for a placement waiver, such as high school transcripts or SAT scores. For more information about waivers, go to the testing center website.
Some students may not have to attend SOAR. See exceptions after the list of SOAR dates below.
Here is a short video overview of the online orientation and checklist.
Sign up for a SOAR session.
- Plan to stay at SOAR for 3-4 hours
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Bring a photo ID
- You may bring up to 2 guests
- You must sign up for a date in order to attend
- A special note for students in Culinary and Pastry Arts: The Culinary advisor will not be present on July 17, July 21, July 25, August 4, August 11, August 14, August 15. You should attend SOAR on a different day as you will receive specific information for the program on days that the Culinary Advisor is present.
2017 SOAR Dates
- Evening sessions start at 6 p.m. and end at approximately 9 p.m.
- Friday morning sessions start at 9 a.m. and end at approximately noon.
- Friday afternoon sessions start at 2 p.m. and end at approximately 5 p.m.
- Goochland sessions start at 4 p.m. and end at approximately 7 p.m.
When you sign up for SOAR and choose a date to attend, if the date is not in the drop-down list, it means it is no longer available.
Your SOAR session will last approximately 3 hours. Check-in times are listed in the middle column in the table below.
|Wednesday, June 21||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC This session is full.|
|Wednesday, June 28||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||DTC This session is full.|
|Wednesday, July 12||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC This session is full.|
|Friday, July 14||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 14||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Monday, July 17||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC*|
|Wednesday, July 19||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m||PRC|
|Friday, July 21||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 21||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Tuesday, July 25||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC*|
|Wednesday, July 26||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 28||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, July 28||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
|Wednesday, August 2||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, August 4||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, August 4||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
|Wednesday, August 9||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, August 11||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, August 11||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
*Goochland Campus SOAR sessions are for students in Goochland-specific programs: Automotive, Diesel Mechanics, Floral Design, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, Welding, Horticulture
Check-in table locations:
Parham Road Campus (PRC): Lobby of the Massey Library Technology Center
Downtown Campus (DTC): 1st floor lobby
Goochland Campus (GC): 1st floor lobby
At SOAR you will:
- Receive a set of recommended classes for your academic program from an advisor
- Learn how to navigate your MyReynolds account
- Take a brief tour of campus
- Receive help from Student Ambassadors in creating your fall schedule
- Acquire information about Reynolds services such as tutoring, accommodations, and getting involved in campus activities.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Some students may not have to attend SOAR. Here are some common reasons why:
1. Transient students are those students who already attend a college or university, want to take a course at Reynolds, and transfer this course back to their home institution.
- Please complete a transient student form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records at email@example.com.
2. Students may have taken classes at another Virginia Community College and are starting a new program at Reynolds.
- Complete a VCCS evaluation form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your classes will be evaluated and classes will be transferred if they are applicable to your Reynolds program.
3. Students may have taken classes or received a degree at 4-year institution.
- Send an official transcript to the Office of Admissions and Records to be evaluated. If you can transfer in more than 15 credit hours, you should see the faculty advisor posted on your MyReynolds account. If you transfer in less than 16 credit hours, you should see an advisor in one of the Enrollment Services Offices. If you are making a fresh start at Reynolds and not transferring in any credit, you should attend SOAR.
4. Students who need to take ESL (English as a second language) classes should be advised by the ESL Office. ESL students are invited to attend the Welcome Program of any SOAR session for informational purposes.