New Student Orientation
Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
Welcome to Reynolds Community College!
If you are a new student, you need to follow 3 steps to get registered for fall classes:
1. View online orientation
2. Sign up for an on-campus SOAR session
3. Attend your SOAR session
Please go directly to one of the Enrollment Services Offices to be advised for summer classes.
Enrollment Services Locations:
- Downtown Campus, 1st floor lobby, Room 105
- Parham Road Campus, 100 Georgiadis Hall
- Goochland Campus, Lobby
- Check the Enrollment Services site for hours of operation.
- Apply to the College by completing a Virginia Community College application. You will receive your student e-mail and student ID number immediately after you complete the application. Bring these with you to new student orientation (SOAR).
- Apply for Financial Aid. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and use the Reynolds Federal School Code 003759. The priority deadline for fall financial aid is April 15. If you plan to receive financial aid and did not include your social security number on your college application, bring your social security card and a state-issued photo ID with you to one of the Enrollment Services Centers. Once that information is in the system, financial aid awards can be processed.
- Set up your username and password, including the required security questions, by logging into MyREYNOLDS. Timely information will be sent to your Reynolds e-mail account so check it on a regular basis.
- Study for and take your placement tests. In some cases, students can be exempt from taking placement tests. The Office of Admissions and Records will review your official high school transcript, college or university transcript or GED to determine math placement test waivers. You can also send your official SAT and ACT scores to determine a math or English waiver.
- Send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- Complete online orientation by following the instructions below.
- New students are required to attend an on-campus SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration). After completing online orientation, sign up for an on-campus SOAR date, by following the instructions below. A new student is a first-time student to Reynolds or a student returning to Reynolds after a three-year absence.
- If you do not have one, obtain a photo ID, which is necessary for placement testing and some MyReynolds password re-sets. A valid state drivers license or state-issued ID is acceptable. Other forms of government issued IDs are acceptable, such as a current passport.
Online Orientation Instructions
Watch online Orientation before attending SOAR. This valuable resource offers information about: academic programs, paying for college, placement tests, placement waivers, registering for classes, financial aid, campus safety, and getting involved in campus life.
When you enter the online Orientation site for the first time, using the link above, follow these steps:
- Click register and complete the registration form.
- You will be at your dashboard. You can start viewing the New Student Online Orientation.
- Watch the videos, read each section, and take the quizzes.
- Congratulations! You now have the knowledge necessary to be advised at SOAR.
Sign up for a SOAR session - check back here soon to sign up for a date!
- Plan to stay at SOAR for 3-4 hours
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Bring a photo ID
- You may bring up to 2 guests
- You must sign up for a date in order to attend
2017 SOAR Dates
- Evening sessions start at 6 p.m. and end at approximately 9 p.m.
- Friday morning sessions start at 9 a.m. and end at approximately noon.
- Friday afternoon sessions start at 2 p.m. and end at approximately 5 p.m.
- Goochland sessions start at 4 p.m. and end at approximately 7 p.m.
|Wednesday, June 21||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Wednesday, June 28||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||DTC|
|Wednesday, July 12||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 14||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 14||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Monday, July 17||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC*|
|Wednesday, July 19||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m||PRC|
|Friday, July 21||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 21||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Tuesday, July 25||3:30 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.||GC*|
|Wednesday, July 26||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, July 28||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, July 28||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
|Wednesday, August 2||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, August 4||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, August 4||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
|Wednesday, August 9||5:15 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.||PRC|
|Friday, August 11||8:15 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.||DTC|
|Friday, August 11||1:15 p.m. - 1:50 p.m.||DTC|
*Goochland Campus SOAR sessions are for students in Goochland-specific programs: Automotive, Diesel Mechanics, Floral Design, Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Technology, Sustainable Agriculture, Welding, Horticulture
Check-in table locations:
Parham Road Campus (PRC): Lobby of the Massey Library Technology Center
Downtown Campus (DTC): 1st floor lobby
Goochland Campus (GC): 1st floor lobby
At SOAR you will:
- Receive a set of recommended classes for your academic program from an advisor
- Learn how to navigate your MyReynolds account
- Take a brief tour of campus
- Receive help from Student Ambassadors in creating your fall schedule
- Acquire information about Reynolds services such as tutoring, accommodations, and getting involved in campus activities.
Student IDs and Parking Decals
During the first week of fall classes, the Department of Police will be issuing Student IDs and parking decals all day. Check their website for times and locations. Students must complete a parking decal form before they can receive a decal; you will need to know your license plate number.
To obtain a parking decal, complete a decal form by following these instructions.
The decal can be picked up when you get your photo ID.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org