GH Hall

How do I apply for Financial Aid?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application that needs to be completed to apply for federal/state financial aid during the fall and spring semesters. The FAFSA can be completed online at or by mailing in a paper FAFSA. It is recommended that you submit the FAFSA electronically. By completing the FAFSA, a student is applying for federal and state aid, including grants and work-study. 

My parents are not helping me pay for college. Am I considered independent?

Even if your parents do not contribute any money toward your education, for financial aid purposes, you are considered a dependent of your parents unless you can answer ‘yes’ to any of the following questions:

  1. Will you be 24 years of age by December 31 of the academic aid year in which you are applying for?
  2. Are you married?
  3. Are you a graduate student (working on a master’s or doctorate program)?
  4. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  5. Are you currently serving on active duty?
  6. Do you have children that you support more than half of their income?
  7. Do you have dependents (other than your children) that you give more than half of your support to and will continue to do so through June 30 of the award year?
  8. At any time since you turned 13, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care or a ward/dependent of the court?
  9. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are/were you an emancipated minor?
  10. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you under legal guardianship?
  11. At any time in or after July of last year, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  12. At any time in or after July of last year, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  13. At any time in or after July of last year, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless? 

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when I'm completing the FAFSA?

  • If your natural parents are separated or divorced, use the natural parent (and their current spouse, if applicable) with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months. 
  • If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. 
  • If your parent has remarried as of the date you complete your FAFSA, you must also include the stepparent's financial information on the application, and parent and stepparent should report themselves as married on the FAFSA.

What is an EFC?

  • The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated according to a formula established by law. 
  • Your family’s income (taxed and untaxed), assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) are all considered in the formula. 
  • Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year. 
  • The information you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to calculate your EFC. 
  • Reynolds uses the EFC to determine your federal student aid eligibility and financial aid award.

Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?
Yes. The FAFSA must be completed each academic year for which a student wishes to receive financial aid.
*The academic year includes the fall, spring, and summer semesters.*

Do I have to complete a separate application for the summer?

No. Students are encouraged but not required to submit a Summer Financial Aid Application.  Students who wish to request a loan would need to complete a Summer Loan Request Form. The summer application should be available in early March each year. It will be posted on the financial aid website and available in The Office of Financial Aid.

How do I apply for student loans?

In order to apply for loans, a Loan Request form must be completed and can be found here: The student must have also completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), as well as the Master Promissory Note (MPN), and Entrance Counseling at  

What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?
The Federal Government’s deadline for completing the FAFSA is June 30 of each academic year. However, Reynolds has priority deadlines to ensure the Office of Financial Aid has enough time to process the application before classes begin each semester.

The priority deadlines for receipt of the FAFSA by the federal processor are as follows:

  • Fall – April 15
  • Spring – September 16
  • Summer – February 17 

If I have questions about financial aid, who should I contact?
Students should contact the Student Support Center at or call 1 (855) 874-6682 for any financial aid questions. Also, you can receive financial aid assistance at the Office of Financial Aid on campus.

Determining Your Financial Aid


When prepared, it only takes 30 minutes to fill out a FAFSA