Faculty and Staff
Center for Faculty Engagement
By providing varied, ongoing, and engaging development opportunities, The Center for Faculty Engagement at Reynolds Community College promotes excellence in teaching and learning, supports faculty in their development of instructional and professional skills, and delivers training programs that assist in strengthening the strategic priorities of the institution.
Through its efforts, the Center for Faculty Engagement impacts student learning, instructional engagement, professional development, and the pursuit of scholarship and research. The CFE emphasizes collegiality, peer mentoring, the scholarship of teaching and learning, the values of lifelong learning, and professional growth.
Core Activities of the Center for Faculty Engagement
- Faculty Learning Cohorts: Faculty Learning Cohorts (FLCs) support faculty in discussion and research in areas that impact student learning and student success in higher education. All faculty, both full- and part-time, are encouraged to participate actively in a Faculty Learning Cohort (FLC) to enhance their professional development, to cultivate strategies that can be applied directly within the classroom, and to expand their portfolio of professional activities.
- Faculty Workshops: CFE Faculty Workshops emphasize the teaching and learning priorities embedded within the institution's strategic initiatives. Current areas of focus include faculty certification programs in Advising, Online Learning, and Teaching Honors. Other programming support faculty engagement with Open Educational Resources, Assessment of Student Learning, and the development of High Impact Instructional Practices. Complete course descriptions for the workshops are located here.
- New Faculty Mentoring & Induction: Through a series of workshops that extend throughout the academic year, new full-time faculty are provided professional development opportunities that focus on the culture and community of Reynolds, its students, and effective instructional practices.
- Faculty Lunch & Learn Series: Two distinct workshops open to all faculty are provided each semester. These informal sessions give faculty an opportunity to meet for cross-disciplinary discussions on a wide range of concerns, such as effective classroom management, best practices in student engagement, and alignment of learning outcomes across the curriculum. Each workshop is facilitated by peer faculty. The Lunch & Learn Series is co-sponsored by Reynolds Office of Professional Development.
- The Reynolds & VCU Humphrey Fellows Program Partnership: The CFE serves as the liaison between Reynolds and the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Humphrey Fellows Program. Faculty are encouraged to engage with the Reynolds & VCU Humphrey Fellows Program Partnership in order to expand global awareness and dialogue within their classrooms. Opportunities for engagement include the Guest Lecture Series, the annual Conference with the Fellows, and other informal events throughout the year.
Other Areas of Focus
The CFE develops and distributes resources for teaching and learning, supports faculty pursuit of individual professional goals, and serves as the campus liaison to the U.S. State Department's Fulbright Program .
Dr. Ghazala Hashmi, Coordinator Center for Faculty Engagement email@example.com (804) 523-5515
|David Loope||Lori Johnson||Maria Poindexter|
|Ihab AbuZayda||Kathy Larue||Shalini Upadhyaya|
|Sheila Betz||Linda Lisowski||Tamara Watkins|
|Kevin Carey||Barbara Lytton|
|Sylvia Clay||Kathy Massino|
|Alan Crouch||Gayle Melberg|
|Gayle D'Andrea||Charlie Peterson|