Faculty and Staff
Center for Faculty EngagementThe Center for Faculty Engagement (CFE) promotes excellence in instruction, supports faculty development, and provides certification programs in specific areas of concentration. In embracing a culture of quality for Reynolds Community College faculty, the CFE impacts student learning, collegial engagement, professional development, and scholarly pursuits. The CFE emphasizes collegiality within professional development by promoting mentorship and inter-disciplinary, as well as disciplinary, faculty engagement. Additionally, the CFE adheres to the values of lifelong learning and enriching professional growth.
Core Activities of the Center for Faculty Engagement
- Faculty Learning Cohorts: Faculty Learning Cohorts (FLCs) support faculty in discussion and research in areas that impact student learning and student success in higher education at Reynolds. All faculty, both full- and part-time, are encouraged to participate actively in a Faculty Learning Cohort (FLC) to enhance their professional development, to cultivate strategies that can be applied directly within the classroom, and to expand their portfolio of professional activities that include measurable outcomes. The 2016 FLCs are Understanding Digital Humanities, Bringing History and Culture to the Classroom: An Immersion in the Local, and Improving STEM Student Success through Effective Teaching and Advising
- Certification Programs: The CFE supports a variety of strategic initiatives at Reynolds by providing Faculty Development Curricula in specific areas of concentration. Current areas of focus include certification programs in Teaching in Honors, The Pedagogy of Advising, Open Educational Resources, and Assessment of Student Learning.
- New Faculty Mentoring & Induction: Through a series of workshops that extend throughout the academic year, new full-time faculty are provided professional development opportunities that focus on the culture and community of Reynolds, its students, and effective instructional practices.
- Faculty Lunch & Learn Series: Two distinct workshops open to all faculty are provided each semester. These informal sessions give faculty an opportunity to meet for cross-disciplinary discussions on a wide range of concerns, such as effective classroom management, best practices in student engagement, and alignment of learning outcomes across the curriculum. Each workshop is facilitated by peer faculty. The Lunch & Learn Series is co-sponsored by Reynolds Office of Professional Development.
- The Reynolds & VCU Humphrey Fellows Program Partnership: The CFE serves as the liaison between Reynolds and the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Humphrey Fellows Program. Faculty are encouraged to engage with the Reynolds & VCU Humphrey Fellows Program Partnership in order to expand global awareness and dialogue within their classrooms. Opportunities for engagement include the Guest Lecture Series, the annual Conference with the Fellows, and other informal events throughout the year.
Other Areas of Focus
The CFE seeks to develop and distribute resources for teaching and learning, support faculty endeavors to develop individual professional goals, and serves as the campus liaison to the U.S. State Department's Fulbright Program for college faculty.
Dr. Ghazala Hashmi, Coordinator Center for Faculty Engagement firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 523-5515
|David Loope||Maria Poindexter||Alan Crouch|
|Ihab AbuZayda||Lori Johnson||Charlie Peterson|
|Jamal Aldajaei||Kathy Larue||Bruce Sofinski|
|Sheila Betz||Linda Lisowski||Shalini Upadhyaya|
|Kevin Carey||Barbara Lytton||Tamara Watkins|
|Sylvia Clay||Kathy Massino|
|Gayle D'Andrea||Gayle Melberg|